The drama coach is an vital member of the Insight Theatre team. The coach works with new troupe members during summer training and fall rehearsals, teaching them performance skills such as improv, movement, voice work and scene building. The coach also offers creative guidance that will help shape the Insight show for the upcoming season and oversees the work of our volunteer drama assistants.
DRAMA COACH CONTRACT
The drama coach reports to the Insight Theatre coordinator and works with troupe members during summer training and fall rehearsals. The Drama coach is primarily responsible for developing and executing drama training during summer sessions and providing guidance during the creation of Insight's show.
The drama coach is supervised by the Insight Theatre Coordinator. The drama coach is responsible for working with the coordinator and the drama assistants throughout the audition, summer training and show creation/rehearsal period.
· Work alongside the coordinator and provide guidance, support and training to the drama assistants.
· Work as a member of the team in the development of audition requirements, summer training activities and rehearsal guidelines.
· Assist in screening and selecting drama assistants.
· Assist in screening and selecting troupe members for summer training.
· Develop and conduct drama warm-ups, activities and games to help advance the youths’ performance skills.
· Maintain a daily activity log for Summer Training and a resource binder for drama exercises, games and activities related to Insight Theatre.
· Create a setting in which the youth can improvise scenes on sexual and reproductive health issues and other Insight issues.
· Assist in selecting the final two performance troupes.
· Facilitate the troupes’ development, creation and rehearsal of an Insight show.
· Participate in ongoing teambuilding, conflict resolution and support with coordinator and drama assistants.
· Represent Planned Parenthood Ottawa in a professional manner and in accordance with guidelines agreed upon with the Insight Theatre coordinator.
· Participate in meetings with the coordinator as needed.
July 1st, 2011 - October 15th, 2011
- Secondary school diploma (college or university would be considered an asset)
- Background in drama/theatre, particularly improvisation, movement and scene work
- Knowledge of sexual health
- Comfortable working in a sex-positive, pro-choice, inclusive environment
- Strong leadership abilities
- Abliity to work independently.
The Drama Coach will be paid a total of $2,500 for the entire contract.
HOURS OF ACTIVITY
This is a part-time contract. Hours vary throughout the contract between 5 and 35 hours per week. The Drama Coach must be available for the following:
- one evening of auditions in mid-July
- Summer Training: Monday through Friday, from 9am-4pm, August 2nd - August 12th
- Fall rehearsals: Mondays and Wednesdays, 6-9pm, September 7th-September 26th
- Fall premiere: date in October TDB
- meetings with Insight Theatre Coordinator as required.
Please e-mail résumé, cover letter and contact information for 2 references to Nadine Thornhill at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading "Drama Coach" no later than Friday, April 29th, 2011. We thank everyone who applies, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.