What is the withdrawal method?
The withdrawal method is a way of reducing the risk of by pulling the penis from the vagina prior to ejaculation in order to prevent semen from entering the vagina.
How does it work?
The withdrawal method involves a lot of willpower and the ability to control ejaculations. If you are thinking of using the withdrawal method, it is important to have open communication with your partner ahead of time to ensure that you are both comfortable with this method and so that you both understand how you will work together to make the withdrawal method work for you.
How effective is the withdrawal method?
The withdrawal method is 73% effective with typical use. Its effectiveness depends on how much control you have over your ejaculations and on your ability to ensure that no ejaculate comes into contact with the vagina.
Does the withdrawal method reduce the risk of STIs?
No. It does not reduce the risk of STIs.
Reasons someone might choose this method of birth control
- It can be used as a method of risk reduction when there is no other contraception available.
- You don’t have to carry contraceptives around with you
- It can be used in tandem with other contraceptives, thereby increasing its effectiveness
Reasons someone might not choose this method of birth control
- It requires a lot of self-control
- It requires practice and dedication
- It does not reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections